New Mexico is a state located in the southwestern region of the United States. It is known for its rich cultural heritage, stunning landscapes, and vibrant history. The state is also home to several Native American tribes and has a significant Hispanic population. As Christians, prayer can help bring peace and healing to our communities, especially in times of need.
In Matthew 18:20, Jesus says, “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Let us, therefore, come together in prayer for the people of New Mexico. We pray for their safety and protection, that they may be kept from harm and danger. We pray that the state’s leaders may be guided by wisdom and understanding.
As we lift up our voices in prayer, let us remember the words of Philippians 4:6-7, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
This verse reminds us that our God is a God of abundance who provides for all our needs and blesses us in every aspect of life. As we pray for New Mexico, we must remember that God’s love and provision are not limited to any geographic location.
Population: New Mexico, nicknamed the Land of Enchantment, is the 47th state to join the United States of America. It achieved statehood in 1912. The state capital, Santa Fe, is the oldest state capital in the US. New Mexico is one of the youngest American states, having been admitted as a state only in 1912. The state has a predominantly Hispanic community and Catholic culture.
In terms of population, as of 2020, New Mexico has a population of 2,120,220 people .
GDP: New Mexico’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2020, as reported by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), was 95.1 billion USD . GDP measures the total value of goods and services produced within the state’s economy and is a crucial indicator of economic health and growth.
Michelle Lujan Grisham is the governor of New Mexico. She is the first woman to hold this position in the state’s history. Before she became governor, she served as a member of the United States House of Representatives, representing New Mexico’s 1st congressional district from 2013 to 2018.
Tim Keller is the current mayor of Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico . He has served in this role since January 1, 2017, after being elected with 62 percent of the non-partisan election votes . Before his mayoral role, Keller served as the State Auditor of New Mexico . He won re-election as the mayor of Albuquerque in the general election held on November 2, 2021, and his current term will end on December 31, 2025 .
Under Mayor Keller’s leadership, the city has focused on creating a sense of unity and inclusiveness, promoting diversity and resilience . He has also worked towards tackling some of the city’s biggest challenges, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, by setting up testing sites open to anyone who needs it, not just those traveling . Mayor Keller regularly updates the city’s response to the pandemic .
Martin Heinrich is a New Mexico senator who served in the United States House of Representatives. He represented New Mexico’s 1st congressional district from 2009 to 2013 before moving to the Senate in 2013. .
New Mexico is a state in the Southwestern region of the United States of America that became the 47th state to join the union on January 6, 1912 . Its five bordering states are Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah . The state capital is Santa Fe . Ben Ray Lujan is one of New Mexico’s senators, along with Martin Heinrich . Lujan was previously a member of the United States House of Representatives .
New Mexico’s economy heavily relies on the oil and gas industry, with the state ranking as the third-largest oil-producing state in the country. Besides, New Mexico is known for its diverse industries, including high-tech sectors such as aerospace and defense, renewable energy, and biotechnology. 
New Mexico is a state located in the Southwestern region of the United States of America. Its economy is diversified and not solely dependent on the oil and gas industry. While the state is the fourth-largest oil-producing state in the country, it is also known for high-tech industries such as aerospace and defense, renewable energy, and biotechnology, which contribute significantly to its economy . Some common jobs in New Mexico include petroleum engineers, electrical engineers, and wind turbine service technicians . As of December 2022, the unemployment rate in New Mexico is 5.5% .
New Mexico’s healthcare system faces several challenges, including a shortage of healthcare providers, a high percentage of uninsured residents, and high rates of chronic disease.  While the state has made strides to increase access to healthcare, many areas remain medically underserved. In addition, New Mexico has one of the country’s highest poverty rates, contributing to the high percentage of uninsured residents.  These challenges are compounded by high rates of chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease, which require ongoing medical attention.
Healthcare Prayer Points
- Pray for an increase in healthcare providers in New Mexico, that more doctors and nurses would be drawn to work in the state and that they would have the resources they need to provide quality care. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- Pray for expanding healthcare coverage in New Mexico, that more residents would have access to affordable healthcare. (Jeremiah 33:6)
- Pray for those who suffer from chronic diseases in New Mexico, that they would receive the care and support they need to manage their conditions. (James 5:14-15)
- Pray for the state government, that they would prioritize healthcare initiatives and allocate resources to address the healthcare challenges in the state. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- Pray for healthcare organizations and nonprofits in New Mexico, that they would have the resources and support they need to provide essential healthcare services to underserved communities. (Philippians 4:19)
- Pray for the families of those affected by healthcare challenges in New Mexico, that they would find comfort and strength in their faith. (Psalm 34:18)
- Pray for the youth of New Mexico, that they would be educated on healthcare issues and equipped to make informed decisions about their health. (Proverbs 2:10-11)
- Pray for the elderly population in New Mexico, that they would receive the care and support they need to maintain their health and wellbeing. (Isaiah 46:4)
- Pray for healthcare research in New Mexico, that breakthroughs and advancements would be made to improve healthcare outcomes and quality of life. (Psalm 107:20)
- Pray for the healthcare system in New Mexico to be strengthened and improved to meet the needs of all its residents. (Psalm 18:2)
New Mexico has some challenges when it comes to peace and safety. According to a survey, only 34% of people in New Mexico reported feeling safe in their state, which is tied with Louisiana for the lowest in the nation . Additionally, the crime rate in New Mexico is 72.81 per 1,000 residents during a standard year, putting the state in the 2nd percentile for safety . While violent crime has decreased slightly, 9% of New Mexicans still reported having a personal experience with violent crime in the 12 months before a survey . It is essential to adopt new analytical techniques and intelligence-driven policing strategies to address violence reduction and invest in analytical personnel .
New Mexico faces challenges in different areas, including its high crime rate, limited access to healthcare providers, and high poverty rate. Additionally, the state struggles with water scarcity and environmental degradation .
Crime is a significant concern in New Mexico, with only 34% of people feeling safe in their state compared to the national average of 55% . However, violent crime rates have decreased from 14% to 9% in the past year, with an average of 72.81 crimes per 1,000 residents in the state during a standard year .
Access to healthcare providers is limited, especially in rural areas, with only 40.3% of physicians practicing in rural areas despite these areas making up 75% of the state’s land area . Poverty rates in the state are also high, with an overall poverty rate of 19.7%, and nearly 25% of children living in poverty .
New Mexico faces significant water scarcity and environmental degradation challenges due to its arid climate and limited water resources . The state has implemented the Produced Water Act to manage the production and usage of wastewater from oil and gas drilling .
Prayer Points for New Mexico
7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.
- Heavenly Father, we lift up the leaders of New Mexico to you, that they would seek wisdom, justice, and compassion in their decisions. (Proverbs 2:6-8)
- Lord, we pray for peace and safety in New Mexico, especially in areas with high crime rates. Protect and comfort those affected by violence and crime. (Psalm 91:1-2)
- Dear God, we ask that you strengthen and improve the healthcare system in New Mexico. It could provide quality care for all its residents. (Isaiah 58:6-8)
- Lord, we pray for the oil and gas industry in New Mexico. May it be managed sustainably and responsibly, not harming the environment or people’s health. (Psalm 24:1)
- God, we pray for the restoration of the environment in New Mexico. Protect and preserve the state’s natural beauty and resources for future generations. (Genesis 2:15)
- Father, we ask that you bless the residents of New Mexico with your love and provision. May they experience your presence and grace in every aspect of their lives. (Psalm 23:1-3)
- Lord, we pray for those affected by water scarcity in New Mexico. Provide them access to clean water and help them manage this precious resource. (Isaiah 41:17-18)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up the education system in New Mexico to you. It should be equipped to provide quality education to all its students. (Proverbs 1:7)
- God, we pray for the agricultural industry in New Mexico. Bless farmers and ranchers with good harvests and healthy livestock. (Psalm 65:9-13)
- Lord, we ask for your protection and provision for those affected by natural disasters in New Mexico, such as wildfires and floods. (Psalm 46:1-3)
As followers of Christ, we are called to lift up our communities in prayer and intercession. Let us unite in faith, lifting up New Mexico and its inhabitants to our Heavenly Father, who hears and answers our prayers.