Marriage Prayer Points for singles
Most girls dream and long for the day that they walk down the altar. Their wedding prayer is one for the best ideal venue, the ideal man, the best possible weather and location. Apostle Paul urges those that can to stay unmarried, because of what potentially comes after the beautiful day. 1 Corinthians 7
Marriage is a commitment that lasts a lifetime. One day for the wedding, and the rest of the life to experience marriage. As the church, we ought to place more emphasis and impression upon our boys and girls the significance of what is to come after the wedding.
The bible says that the Lord gives the desires of the heart, to those that delight in him. The late, Dr Myles Munroe has incredible teaching about the subject of preparation for marriage. It is called, The Myth of Singleness. I have placed the video below.
Add value to yourself, so that you bring more value to your spouse’s life as well. Your singleness is the most significant part of getting your marriage right. That is the period you get yourself ready, there is no transformation at the altar.
More than anything, our prayer is that the Lord would give you a spouse who will propel your destiny to greater heights, as you do the same for them! God forbid that your marriage would derail your destiny! We have created marriage prayer points for singles. It is the best time to sow into your marriage in prayer.
Lord prepare me: Marriage prayer points for singles
While it is great to find the right person to marry, it is more important to be the right person for someone else. Our prayer today is, Lord, make me the right person for my spouse.
- Father make my days of being single count. Prepare me to be the best spouse that I can be.
- Open my eyes to my own flaws while I am still alone. Give me the humility to acknowledge where I am wrong, and to want to be better.
- Teach me to build someone up, while I am still alone, that I may be a worthy co-pilot when I marry.
Lord protect my spouse
It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. – Frederick Douglass
This world is a cold place. People usually come into marriages carrying baggage from their childhood, from their single life. The quote by Mr Douglass rings true for both male and female spouses. We bring our brokenness into our relationships.
Our prayer is that God would begin to mend marriages and relationships, such that children are raised free of the baggage that our brokenness pushes onto them. Lord, teach us to build strong children.
- Lord, I speak your covering over my spouse, even if I have yet to meet him/her. Protect them, in their coming and going out.
- Grant them wisdom to grow into the man/woman that you have intended for them to become.
- Just as you are preparing me to be a worthy companion and partner, raise him/her to be the same for me. Where I fall short, may they become a covering. Where he/she falls short, prepare me to be a covering.
Teach me to wait on you
We are often under pressure to be married by a certain age. This is a phenomenon that is common in the church. One could even argue that perhaps the pressure is one of the reasons why divorce rates have been rising even within the church. The bible tells us that there is grace for those who wait on the Lord. Isaiah 40:31
The bible tells us of the pressure that Job was under due to people not seeing the hand of God in his life. We also know of the reward that was at the end of his faithful wait! Though it hurt, he waited!
- Father teach me to wait on you. That I would not fall into the arms of the wrong person to appease family, friends or the church. A good wife and husband come from you, so I will wait for you.
Proverbs 19:14 “House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD.”
- Lord your time is perfect. May I not be swayed by earthly wisdom, rather, trust in your will and your process.
Proverbs 14:12 “12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.”
Surround me with the right mentors
Wherever greatness is, there has always been a great mentor to foster it. Think of anyone who you think has achieved a great marriage. They had their grandparents to look at and think, “Lord, that is the sort marriage that I want.”
The disciples who went on to turn the world upside down had been mentored by Christ. The bible tells us that when they spoke, people recognised whom they had spent time with.
Acts 4:13 says the following, “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled; and they took note concerning them that they had been with Jesus.”
It didn’t matter how messed up or dysfunctional where these men had come from. It no longer mattered that they were unlearned and ignorant! They had been mentored well. Our prayer is that God would bring such people into your life, such that when people see where you end up, they will see the hand of the Lord!
- Lord make me coachable at every turn. Give me the grace to love correction, humility to accept my fault and bravery to make changes where I can. Proverbs 12:1
- Lord as you raised Elizabeth in Mary’s time of need, raise someone to stand with me. Raise someone to speak life into me, to help me believe when I cannot see. Luke 1:39-45
- Father give me the gift of discernment, to pick out the good voices from a crowd that will speak to me or over me!
My marriage will be sweet
Great marriages are a bedrock for generations to come. This is why it is important for the enemy to fight our marriages. Our prayer is “Lord my marriage will not be a statistic for failure!”
- Father raise my marriage as a beacon of your grace!
- Father may we build it all on you! If we build without you we build in vain! Psalm 127.
- You are the giver of every good and perfect gift. Grant me a sweet and wondrous marriage oh God.
Make me the best wife/husband I can possibly be
Men are raised to want the perfect woman for a wife. Women are raised to want the perfect man for a husband. There is little or no emphasis on being the perfect man or woman.
If we all want and no one focuses on being, we are setting ourselves up to fail. Our prayer today is that the Lord would deal with you as you wait for your intended.
- Search my heart oh Lord. If there is anything in me that will stand in the way of the marriage that you intend for me, rid me of it Lord!
- Show me my brokenness, oh Lord. Where my shortcomings are, those that I may be blind to.
- Mend my brokenness. Father, whatever is broken in me, from my childhood, from previous relationships. Whatever baggage I am carrying forward, Lord heal me of it.
Prayers for Wedding Day
Downloadable Wedding Prayers
1 Samuel 7:12
12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer,[a] saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”
You know how far the Lord has pulled you to get to this day. You know the pain he has had to pull you past. Today, we say Ebenezer, you have brought me to my wedding day oh Lord!
WEDDING PRAYER 1
Dear Heavenly Father,
Bless this, our wonderful day. Bless this, our marriage. Bless our wedding. We speak grace into everything that is planned out for the day. May it all be smooth. Grant us the grace to be at peace through it all. Most of all, I am grateful for my spouse! Bless him/her on this day! We thank you for keeping us thus far. Ebenezer! You have brought us thus far! Carry us forevermore! Amen.
WEDDING PRAYER 2
Father, I bless your name for my spouse. I thank you for carrying me and him/her through to this day. Bless this union oh God! Let this be a day that starts a wonderful marriage. We thank you for everyone in attendance! Thank you for the gifts, even the gift of life today. All glory returns to you oh God! Amen.
WEDDING PRAYER 3
Oh God of wonders,
How marvellous are your works! How gracious you are to have brought us to the day of our wedding. We speak a blessing over this day! Over every guest, overall well-wishers, even those who could not be here to celebrate with us! May your glory be seen on this day! May your glory be evident in our marriage, forevermore. In Jesus’ name! Amen.