Prayer for peace
There is a constant need for prayer for peace. Nowadays peace is elusive, we are constantly bombarded with information. Things that would not have bothered us in years gone by, or gone unnoticed are placed in front of us. We know what is happening in our own nations, as well as in nations that we will never set foot in.
Most media has become a fear-mongering tool. We live in fear of our neighbours. We are in constant fear of those that are different from us. Information presented to us breeds fear and contempt for different ethnicities, gender, faith and so on. Where does one find peace in all of that?
“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
The scripture above makes it clear that peace is our heritage. Jesus left us peace and commanded to never let our hearts be troubled. We are to trust in God and in Christ Jesus! There rests our peace. Jesus was at constant peace throughout his existence on this planet. This is a man who slept through a storm. There is peace in accepting that we may not know what tomorrow holds, but we know who holds it.
We will share some personal prayers for peace points as well as intercessory prayer for peace.
Personal Prayer for Peace
In this section of personal prayer for peace, we will pray for our own peace. If you desire to have peace, as you should, this section will be a great aid to doing that. May the Lord give you peace as you pursue him. Let your prayers rise like incense, and be a pleasant aroma to heaven.
May the spirit of the Lord flow through you, and enable you to pray prayers for peace that rout the gates of the enemy. We know that the effectual fervent prayers of the righteous avail much! Righteousness is your portion through Jesus Christ! May your prayers avail peace to you, and all whom you intercede for.
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
- Lord, I bless your name for being mindful of me.
- Thank you for thinking of peace for me, and hope for me.
- You are a faithful God.
- Peace is my portion! My future is filled with hope, through Christ Jesus.
“When a man’s ways please the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.”
- Dear God, I humbly submit to you! May my ways please you.
- Give me the wisdom to walk in your will.
- My enemies will be at peace with me!
“You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.”
- Father, I submit my mind to you! Have your way.
- I receive your gift of perfect peace, as my mind remains on you.
- I choose to trust in you, oh God!
“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
- Thank you, father, for fighting my corner at every turn.
- I am victorious in you and through you!
- You have overcome the world, I am of good cheer!
“I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.”
- Thank you, God, for giving me rest. I will sleep, no matter the conditions!
- Peace is my portion!
- You make me dwell in safety, oh God!
“He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me, for there were many against me.”
- Lord on my own I stumble in the dark. You are the redeemer of my soul.
- You keep me in peace from battles that are mine.
- You fight and win wars on my behalf, without my knowledge.
“My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,
For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.”
- I hold onto to your teachings, Oh God!
- I will never forget you law.
- I delight in keeping your commands.
- Long life and peace is added to me!
1 Peter 5:7
7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- Lord, I thank you for being a caring father.
- I cast my anxieties on you because you care.
- I am at peace, in knowing you are in control.
Intercessory Prayer for Peace
We are going to stand in the gap, in prayer for peace. Our prayers will cover nations, lands and other entities. Whatever it is that you want to stand in the gap for, perhaps, today it is your city? Perhaps your continent? Let us raise prayers for peace to the heavens as prayer warriors standing in the gap. God forbid that he would look among us for one to stand in the gap for peace and find no one.
1 Corinthians 14:33
“For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.”
- Father, we bring our nations and leaders before you! You are not an author of confusion! Guide our nations! Confusion will no longer be our portion.
- Peace is our portion, in Jesus’ name!
- Father raise the voice of the church in our nations! To be one that stands for truth, that stands for the downtrodden, as you would.
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
- Lord we cast our anxiety on you. Every worry we have for our nation is yours.
- May our lands be filled with prayer, with supplication and thanksgiving.
- Father, we bring our requests to you.
- Your peace that surpasses understanding guards our heart and mind through Christ Jesus!
“I will give peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and none will make you afraid; I will rid the land of evil beasts, and the sword will not go through your land.”
- Lord, our lands and nations will know peace.
- We will have rest.
- Fear is not our portion. Scatter gathering that plot to divide us.
- May the plans of our enemies, foreign and from within be exposed.
- Father preserve lives in our nations. Premature deaths will no longer be our portion.
“The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.”
- Dear God, lift your countenance upon us and give us peace!
- Do not turn away from us, oh God.
- We refuse to continue to walk in sin!
- May your righteousness be known in our nations.
- Draw our hearts collectively back to you.
“But the meek shall inherit the earth, and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”
- Father, we have become proud and arrogant.
- We have neglected the foreigners, the orphans and widows.
- Return meekness to our hearts.
- We delight ourselves in the abundance of peace.
“Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.”
- Father may you law be deeply rooted in our churches across the land.
- No political affiliation will cause our churches to sway from your will.
- Nothing will cause us to stumble.
“Behold, I will bring it health and healing; I will heal them and reveal to them the abundance of peace and truth.”
- Lord we seek you for restoration.
- Restore righteousness to our nations.
- Restore peace to our nations!
- We forsake our wickedness. Do not hide your face from us, oh God!
“Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace, be still!’ And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.”
- Father, we give you dominion over our nations.
- We speak peace and stillness over every wind that would rise against our land.
- Let there be a great calmness.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.”
- Father, we pray for a great outpouring of your spirit in our nations.
- May love, joy, PEACE, longsuffering, kindness, goodness and faithfulness be our portion!
“Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.”
- Father make us nations of true peacemakers. Not merely to score political points.
- May the things that break your heart, break ours.
- We will sow and reap the fruit of righteousness, as peacemakers.
2 Thessalonians 3:16
“Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with you all.”
- Dear God, we ask that you will dwell in our land.
- We apologise of any ways that we have wittingly or unwittingly pushed you away.
- Give us peace.
- Bring transformation to our neighbourhoods. Stop unnecessary killings and bloodshed.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
- Lord open our hearts, may we never shut you out.
- May your peace rule in our hearts.
- We are thankful!
20 Deceit is in the hearts of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy.
- Father our nations are led by deceivers. Wolves that claim to love you but live and rule otherwise.
- Clean their hearts of deceit. Raise leaders after your own heart.
- Open our eyes to see those that are not.
- May we be true promoters of peace, so our nations may be filled with true joy.
11 The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.
- Father, we ask that you would strengthen us as believers.
- Bless us we peace of mind. Bless us with peace in spirit and physical.
18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
- Father, we pray for wisdom to peacefully coexist with others.
- Teach us to truly love our neighbours.
- Teach us to be Christ to the least among us.
- War will not be our portion, in Jesus’ name.
14 Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
- Lord, we pray for a revival in our nations.
- May the spirit of the Lord convict and turn hearts back to your will.
- Makes doers of your will, as we turn away from evil ways.
- Make us seekers and pursuers of peace, through Christ Jesus.
37 Consider the blameless, observe the upright; a future awaits those who seek peace.
- Raise among us men and women who stand for you.
- Give us those to learn from, to observe.
- Grant us a beautiful future as we seek peace.
May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.
- We speak this over our nation.
- Mercy, peace and love will be multiplied to us!
Thank you for taking the time to pray for peace. We believe God for change, as he alone is faithful. As we stretch towards him, let our nations become unrecognisably changed. May those who see the change know that surely, the Lord has come through here. Let this be a top-down change, leaders that pursue the Lord, and citizens that demand this of leaders, and live it themselves.