How to plan a prayer for today
There is a key realisation that comes with knowledge of Christ. There is a need for prayer for today. The scripture tells us that the enemy is plotting our plunder at every turn. We are encouraged to WATCH and PRAY. Watching entails our need to be attentive and vigilant. It impresses the need for prayer to be responsive.
A great example that we always give when we speak about the need for prayer to be timely and responsive is that of King Hezekiah. 2 Kings 20. When the prophet had pronounced his ending, he responded in prayer, and good pronounced a new beginning. I don’t know what your situation is today, but our prayer for today is that as you respond in prayer, let what had been meant to end you, become a new beginning for you.
Our prayer for today is structure according to what Jesus gave his disciples when they asked to be taught to pray. If it was good enough for Christ and his disciples, it sure is good enough for us all.
Our father: prayer for today
11 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”
2 He said to them, “When you pray, say:
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.[b]
Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.[c]
And lead us not into temptation.[d]’
Start your day with a reminder to yourself and anything/anyone else that dares to listen. Remind yourself whose you are, who has your back, whose covering you are under. Your father who is in heaven. Bless him name, thank him for his very presence where you are and wherever you will set foot today. Thank him for his promise never to leave nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6
- You alone are my God!
- You are my father in heaven.
- Your very presence in humbling.
- Your love is disarming.
- I am yours!
Hallowed be thy name
Scripture tells us that every knee shall bow before his awesome name. It also tells us that he exalts his word above even his name. Key thing is that he exalts his holy name. This is the name that grants us victory. This is the name that cause situations to change. This is the one of whom they said “Who is this man that even the winds obey him?” Mark 4:35-41
- Hallowed be your name oh God
Thy kingdom come
As a people of prayer, we are called to pray for the kingdom of God to come. It is our all ends all. This is the significance of our very existence, that his kingdom would come.
- Let you kingdom come, oh Lord, in me and through me.
Thy will be done
His will is not always what we may desire in certain moment, yet in his sovereignty, even those things that don’t seem good for us bear great fruits.
- Father I submit to you will.
- You don’t owe me an explanation, do as you will.
- Grant me grace and strength to accept your will even when it makes no sense to me. Your ways are higher than mine.
Give us this day
There is a plan for each day. As you raise your supplication for today, remember that. There is a daily bread to be had for today.
- Lord give us this day our daily bread.
- Release this day a word in season.
- No situation today will be without your word and will.
Many are weighed down by sin, past or present as they go through each day. The only time that a weight will be of us is when you are going down. It drags you down fast. Sin is a heavy weight to carry. Lay it down before the king of kings.
- Father I am a sinner, forgive me for ______________.
- Forgive me for sinful things done unknowingly or knowingly.
- Grant me grace to pursue righteousness today and forever more.
As we forgive
Unforgiveness is also a weight that you don’t want to be dragging along into each day. God forgive the forgivers. Consider those whom you may have been carrying unforgiven debts for. Whether they have acknowledged their wrongdoing or not, whether they have asked to be forgiven or not. Today is not about them. It is about you. This isn’t to say you should let people take advantage of you.
- I choose to forgive.
- I forgive because you have commanded me to.
- Grant me grace to look past what others have done to wrong me, as you have looked beyond my sin, to see a son/daughter in me.
If the watchman what without the Lord they do it in vain. Whatever you are setting out to do with today, let it not be in vain. Lay it before him. Someone said, “God is not obligated to finish what he didn’t start with you.” He is a God of completion, whatever you start with him, he is faithful to see through.
- Lord here are my plans for today ———————.
- Guide and lead me through them all.
- Protect me from paths that may seem right to me, but lead to death.
- Order my footsteps, and grace me to walk only where you have ordered.
Not into temptation
John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
We will never be tempted beyond what we can handle. The better way to look at it is that even in temptation, the Lord is there with us! What a wonderful maker! Whatever is thrown at you today, he is available to stand up with you and for you.
- Lord thank you for making me a conquerer.
- Thank you that you have already conquered the world.
- Strengthen me.
Deliver us from evil
There is evil lurking everywhere. This is the devil’s time, if you look at the news, you will know that we are worse off than we have ever been. The sort of things people are doing to one another are astounding. Our father promises to watch over us at every turn. Whatever pit has been dug for your downfall today, let it be the pit the digger falls into.
- Thank you Lord for watching over me and my family.
- Deliver us from evil as we go through this day.
- Thank you for protecting me from things that I don’t even know are after me.
- Thank you for delivering me from enemies that I don’t even know are enemies.
- Thank you for covering me against plots done in secrecy again me.
Thine is the kingdom
Heaven is his throne and earth is his footstool. Thine is the kingdom of heaven, and every other realm. This is a key reminder to ourselves as well. Faith comes by hearing. Say this out audibly, let it increase your confidence in the Lord and in what it to come of this day. What is God to a non-believer? He is still God!
- You rule over earth and all in it.
- You rule over heaven and all in it.
The power and the glory
Omniscient/omnipresent, all knowing here, there and everywhere. Your situation will not come as a surprise to God. He is Apha. He is Omega and everything else in between. The earth in all its magnificence couldn’t even begin to express the vastness of his power and glory. The greatest of orators couldn’t begin to adequately describe him. Scribes couldn’t adequately write of him. Scripture in all its volume and translations couldn’t contain him.
- You are so glorious.
- My situations bow before your glory.
- You know me in way that I don’t want to be known.
- You see me in times where I don’t want to be seen. King David said, where can I hide from you.
Forever and ever
In the beginning was the word, that in the end will also be You are God yesterday, today and forever more. He is not man that he would lie, neither is he a son of man that he would change his mind. His promises to you will be kept, though they may tarry, they shall come to pass.
- I rest in the truth that you will not change.
- You watch over your word to perform it.
- Your promises are kept, yes and amen.
- You are a covenant keeping God.
It shall be
Thank you for taking time to partner us in prayer today. Our intercessors would love to stand with you in prayer, whatever you may be trusting God for this day/week/month/year. Send in your prayer request.