Prayer for El Salvador
We continue to intercede for nations across the planet. This is part of our goal to create prayer points for every nation in the world. We are praying for El Salvador. Below, you will find some details about the country, as well as things that we can pray for.
The name El Salvador can literally be translated into “Republic of The Savior”. How amazing is that? Conquistador Pedro de Alvarado actually named it the new province for Jesus Christ, which was in Spanish of course, so it would have been “Provincia De Nuestro Señor Jesus Cristo, El Salvador Del Mundo” It is the tiniest nation in Central America. This has also meant that it is quite densely populated. El Salvador shares its borders with Honduras and Guatemala.
It stretches 270 km (168 mi) from west-northwest to east-southeast and 142 km (88 mi) north to south, with a total area of 21,041 km2(8,124 sq mi).
Prior to the Spanish Empire coming in, Mesoamericans, Mayas, Lencas and the CuzCaltecs all occupied this area for some period. They are a Spanish speaking nation, with Nawat and Maya also spoken by some natives.
The largest and capital city of El Salvador is San Salvador. San Salvador has a population of over half a million. El Salvador’s climate is tropical, a lot of rain and sunshine; wet and dry seasons.
6.378 million as of (2017)
Brief History: Pray for El Salvador
A chronology of key historical events in El Salvador
El Salvador has a history that been largely punctuated with acts of genocide and unthinkable atrocities. Tens of thousands of people lost their lives in terrible acts of violence. From the Spanish invitation, to civil conflicts and coups. This nation has seen a lot of bloodshed. As much as a people may heal, such a history tends to sow seeds that continue to bear fruit even when they may start to be considered weeds. This is a key area to pray for!
- 1524 – Pedro de Alvarado arrives in the nation and forcibly takes over
- 1540 – After 16 years of fighting the indigenous resistance is eventually crushed. El Salvador becomes a colony of Spain.
- 1821 – El Salvador becomes independent from Spanish rule. Mexican empire under Creole general Agustin de Iturbide are involved in a territorial conflict with the newly independent nation.
- 1823 – El Salvador, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are United Provinces of Central America.
- 1840 – United Provinces of Central America are dissolved, giving El Salvador full independence.
- 1932 – An estimated 30 000 people are murdered by Agustine Farabundo Marti as he and his cohorts suppress a peasant uprising.
- 1961 – A military coup ushers Right-wing National Conciliation Party (PCN) into power.
- 1969 – El Salvador retaliates to illegal immigrants being thrown out of Honduras and goes to war.
- 1979 – Reformist officers get rid of General Romero in a coup.
- 1980 – Archbishop of San Salvador and human rights campaigner Oscar Romero assassinated.
- 1982 – Extreme right-wing National Republican Alliance (Arena) wins parliamentary elections marked by violence.
- 1984 – Duarte becomes president through an election.
- 1991 – FMLN recognised as political party; government and FMLN sign UN-sponsored peace accord.
- 1999 – Arena candidate Francisco Flores wins a fiercely contested presidential election against former guerrilla Facundo Guardado.
- 2001 – 1 200 people perish in an earthquake
- 2002 – Two retired generals are found guilty of war crimes in a US court, even though they had been US backed when committing these crimes.
- 2005 October – Thousands flee as the Ilamatepec volcano, also known as Santa Ana, erupts. Days later scores of people are killed as Tropical Storm Stan sweeps through.
- 2006 April – El Salvador and neighbouring Honduras inaugurate their newly-defined border. The countries fought over the disputed frontier in 1969.
- 2007 February – Three members of the governing Arena party are murdered in Guatemala.
- 2008 January – More than 400 judges hold a street protest over corruption allegations made against four of their colleagues.
- 2009 March – Former Marxist rebel Mauricio Funes of the FMLN party wins presidential elections, marking the first time in two decades that a leftist president has been voted in.
- 2009 June – Mauricio Funes sworn in as president. Restores diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- 2009 November – More than 140 people are killed and thousands left homeless in mudslides and floods.
- 2011 September – US adds El Salvador and Belize to its list of countries considered major producers or transit routes for illegal drugs.
- 2011 October – Torrential rains cause flooding across Central America, killing several people in El Salvador.
- 2011 December – Government apologises for civil war massacre of more than 1,000 people in the town of El Mozote.
President Sánchez Cerén
President Ceren is a self styled teacher, turned guerrilla leader and politician. He has presided over a time of some peace. Having been a man involved in war, there are enemies that will last a lifetime. We will intercede for him as we do for El Salvador.
- Family and friends
- Wisdom to lead
- Allies from within and without (coups)
Political brief: General politics
In spite of all the chaos that has occurred in El Salvador, natural disasters and human orchestrated ones, it remains a democratic nation.
According to Trading Economics, The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in El Salvador was worth 24.81 billion US dollars in 2017. The GDP value of El Salvador represents 0.04 percent of the world economy. GDP in El Salvador averaged 8.13 USD Billion from 1960 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 24.81 USD Billion in 2017 and a record low of 0.63 USD Billion in 1960.
A better GDP will mean a better economy, jobs and better living conditions for the people.
Prayer points for El Salvador
Genocide and bloodshed.
The gift of peace
- There is liberty
- Heal our lands
- Raise businesses and opportunity.
- Reform minds
- Renew hope
- Reignite dying flames of destiny
- Safety in the midst of hatred and fear
- Raise support
- Root out the bad fruit from amongst them
- Wherever the enemy brings these things chaos, bloodshed and crime follow.
- Families to be strengthened.
Leave a Reply