How to PRAY FOR AUSTRIA
Some of her most famous sons are known the world over. Names like Mozart and Schwarzenegger come to mind. Austria has also given us the Porsche.
Austria is a Central European country that shares her borders with Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia. Austria is very mountainous. This is one of the reasons why she draws a lot of thrill-seeking travellers. The Krimml Falls and Großglockner Peak are major drawing factors. 62% of Austria comprises the mountainous region known as the Austrian Alps. This means there is a concentrated population in Vienna’s capital city for economic opportunities. An estimated 25% of the population resides in Vienna.
8 770 000, per World Bank
The assassination of the Austrian heir, Archduke Ferdinand, triggered the start of the first world war. Austria became a republic at the end of the first World War, which they lost, as part of the Central Powers. These also included Germany and Italy. The War put a strain on the Austro-Hungary empire, which disintegrated. By the end of the war, Austria would be declared a republic. The abdication of the emperor preceded this.
Austria struggled to recover from the devastation of the war, as did other nations. The depression further stalled this progression.
Nazi Germany had an eye for the Austrian empire. They attempted to force their hand by staging a coup in 1934, which the Austrian troops successful defended their sovereignty against. The German troops occupied Austria 4 years later, after the resignation of Chancellor Shuschnigg under pressure.
The German presence in Austria devastated the allies during the second world war. They would also be invaded by the Russian army and then split by the allies. It was not until 1955 that Austria regained their sovereignty.
Between 1945 and 1983, 1,942,782 refugees from more than 30 countries came to Austria, of whom about 590,000 became Austrian citizens (including some 302,000 German-speaking expatriates from Czechoslovakia, Romania, and Yugoslavia).
Leaders: President and/or Prime minister
Alexander Van der Bellen has been Austria’s 12th and current President since 26 January 2017. Wikipedia
Political brief: General politics
Austrian politics have been largely marred by the dirty hands of outside influence, as you would have gathered from the brief history section above. Today, Austria is a democratic nation.
The Social Democrats and the conservative people’s party have largely been in control of the nation since the end of the world war. This is something that recently faced challenges from the widely publicised rise of the nationalist Freedom party, which recently gained popularity. This was intriguing as it coincided with the rise of Donald Trump in the US political scene.
GDP: 44,176.52 USD (2016), per WorldBank
The average unemployment rate from 1960 to 2013 is 4.59%, the second lowest in the European Union after Luxembourg.
Austrians continue to fight the problem of acid rain which has damaged 25% of the country’s forests.
50.8% overweight men in Austria.
PRAYER POINTS FOR AUSTRIA
- Father, we thank you for the life of Alexander Van der Bellen. We speak a blessing over his life. Endow him with wisdom to lead. Open his eyes to the issues that his citizens face. Grant him boldness to stand up for the least of these. 1 Timothy 2:2
- We pray for the health of all men in Austria. May they prosper in health. 3 John 1:2
- We pray for the opposition parties. Raise among them, worthy adversaries. May democracy live.
- Fill the leaders with vision and insight for their country’s benefit. Proverbs 4:6-7
- We thank you for the grace that they have shown those they gave refuge to after the war. By that grace, father, bless them. Let them be fruitful people. Hebrews 13:2
- Father grant a resolution in their favour in the case of the acid rain that has long plagued the Austrian forests.
- Raise churches and ministries that truly stand for who you are in Austria.
Further reading and sources
This post is part of our new drive to create up-to-date prayer points for every country worldwide. We endeavour to update these and keep them current. As such, we welcome your input. If you would like to partner with us by adding prayer points for your country’s needs, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Leave a Reply