How to Pray for Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe is a landlocked country located in southern Africa. It shares borders with South Africa on the southern side, Botswana on the western, Zambia on the northern and Mozambique on the Eastern side. The capital city of Zimbabwe is Harare.
The country has an estimated populations of 16.3 million, source. English, Shona and Ndebele are the most widely spoken and recognised languages in Zimbabwe.
Dating as far back as the 11th Century, historians and archaeologists have found that Zimbabwe was a major trade route. The main kingdom involved in said trade was the Great Zimbabwe of modern day Masvingo.
Zimbabwe was under colonial rule from the late 19th century and most of the 20th Century. The removal of the white minority government came at the end of a bitter civil war, known and second Chimurenga.
The state endured international isolation and a 15-year guerrilla war with black nationalist forces; which culminated in a peace agreement that established universal enfranchisement and an independent sovereignty as Zimbabwe in April 1980.
Population: 16.3+ Million
President: Emmerson D Mnangagwa
Vice Presidents: Constantino Chiwenga, Kembo Mohadi
Political brief: General Politics
Zimbabwe is a republic with a presidential system of government. A semi-presidential system was abolished with the adoption of a new constitution after a referendum in March 2013.
On 19 November 2017 in the wake of protests, ZANU-PF sacked Robert Mugabe as party leader and appointed former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa in his place.
This was a military backed move, which was carried out while Mugabe was on what he later referred to as “house arrest.” The entire move has often been called a coup, but not really a coup. Perhaps pseudo-coup is a fitting term.
From his home, on the 21st of November 2017, Mugabe tendered his resignation prior to impeachment proceedings being completed
The ruling ZANU PF, led by Emmerson Mnangagwa, narrowly won the elections in July 2018. The jury is out on whether this is the end of an era or continuing it under a different leader.
Mining and agriculture still provide the largest chunk of Zimbabwe’s GDP. There are several reasons that one can attribute to this. One could say that this is a sign of a lack of progression over the year. Another reason could simply be the lack of investment during the period that they have been under sanctions. Mining and agriculture are industries that are usually sanction proof.
A rampant mismanagement of funds and corruption within most industries has contributed to the death of a lot of companies. Investors have become weary of putting money into the nation as well. Add economic sanctions to all of this, and we have an incredibly difficult nation to govern and to reside in.
The main farm produce remain tobacco, corn, cotton, wheat, coffee, tea, sugarcane, peanuts and soya beans. This is mainly due to the ability to sell most of these locally, as well as export opportunity.
Livestock farmers raise a wide variety of animals that usually include cattle, goats, sheep, chickens and pigs. There is a wide consumption of milk and meat across the nation, so there is a lot of custom for livestock and related products locally.
The main industries are mining, farming and manufacturing. The mining sector produces coal, gold, platinum, copper, nickel, tin, diamonds, clay, numerous metallic and nonmetallic ores. The manufacturing sector produces steel, wood products, cement, chemicals, fertiliser, clothing and footwear, food and beverages.
There are reports of gas and petroleum reserves yet to be explored.
South Africa is currently Zimbabwe’s largest trading partner by a mile. They are the main exporter and importer from Zimbabwe.
What to pray for regarding Zimbabwe?
Prayer Points for Zimbabwe
Leadership : 1 Timothy 2:1-3
Everything filters down from the leadership. The departure of Mugabe leaves an opportunity for a new start, and improvement of leadership.
- Speak a covering over Emmerson Mnangagwa, Constantino Chiwenga, Kembo Mohadi other government officials.
- We pray for their health and well being
- We pray that the Lord grant them wisdom and a heart for the people of Zimbabwe
- May their families be preserved.
- We pray for unselfish vision in leaders.
- Pray for dialogue and consensus for a common purpose among the political leaders.
- Pray for renewal of minds in leadership.
- Lord give them wisdom for such a time as this. New wisdom, to build a new nation.
- Raise around them Nehemiahs of this day; rebuilders of what has long been broken.
Zimbabwean a desperate for a better economy. They are desperate for opportunities for themselves and for their children in their own country. Our prayer is that the Lord would raise dying and dead industries in the country. May the Lord raise innovators and a generation of captains of industry with fresh ideas. More than anything a leadership that fosters an environment in which all these things are possible.
- Lord we pray for economic growth.
- Pray for a lifting of economic sanctions against Zimbabwe by the USA.
- We pray for innovation and wisdom in the mining sector.
- We pray for an increase in Foreign Direct Investment.
- We pray for wisdom and innovation to solve Zimbabwe’s financial crisis.
- We pray for an establishment of new industries.
- We pray against the spirit of poverty.
- We pray for lucrative partnerships with other nations.
- We pray for rain and wisdom for the agricultural sector.
- We pray for success in the plans to revive old industries and factories.
Beyond health issues that plague the nation as a result of poor economic structures and infrastructure, better things need to be built. There is absolutely no reason why people should be dying of cholera in this century. As humanity we owe it to ourselves to be better.
- Speak against the spread of cholera and other related waterborne diseases.
- Pray for the preservation of lives against disease outbreaks and medical drugs shortages.
- Speak against industrial strikes in the health sector.
- Pray for an improvement in health service delivery.
Zimbabweans have always been known to be a pacifist and peaceful people. Our prayer is that that trait is not eaten away by the consistent nag that is poverty and corruption. Father may peace prevail over this land.
- Father we thank you for peace across Zimbabwe.
- We speak against political violence and uprisings.
- May your word find its way into more and more homes and transform the nation.
- We pray that the government handle protests with grace.
The church used to be a respected vehicle of change in the nation. Today more and more people are turning away from it due to the blatant disregard of Christlikeness that has hit it. More and more churches are springing up and taking advantage of a people desperate for a saviour.
- Lord bring authenticity back to your church.
- Expose and uproot all wolves that have gotten among your flock.
- Raise men women after your heart.
- Raise the church as a vehicle of hope and of change in the nation.
Proverbs 12:27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
The verse above is unfortunately an accurate description of most African countries, including Zimbabwe. They diligent in hunting but never roast what they have hunted. This is the reason why our industries export raw material to be processed elsewhere and sold back to Zimbabwe at higher rates. Minerals are not being “roasted”, but are bought back as jewellery at premium rates.
- Father make Zimbabwe a nation of producers, and not mere consumers.
- Give them wisdom to build wealth for generations to come.
- Give them foresight to build not only for themselves but for their children, a better nation.
There are a lot of other points that we have failed to find a home for under any of the other headings. Whatever else you think we may have missed out while praying for Zimbabwe, add it to this general section.
- We pray for church leaders that their lives be preserved and good health.
- Pray for the will of God to prevail in Zimbabwe.
- Pray for unity in the Church.
- Pray for an awareness and growth of an entrepreneurial culture among the youth.
- Speak against hoarding and shortages of basic commodities.
- Pray that sanity and wisdom prevail in the marketplace.
- Pray for economic reforms.
Thank you for partnering with us in prayer. Our goal is to create one of these for every country in the world. We want to be enablers of prayer warriors. This is part of our prayer for nations goal. If you would like to volunteer to create prayer points or be a part of our team of intercessors, please get in touch.
Originally posted 2018-11-05 22:53:53.