Louisiana has a rich history, unique culture, and diverse communities. Louisiana has a lively and dynamic population, from the vibrant city of New Orleans to the quiet bayous and small towns throughout the state. However, like many places worldwide, Louisiana struggles with challenges, including poverty, crime, natural disasters, and social problems.
This is where our comprehensive Louisiana prayer guide comes in. Whether you live in the state or have a heart for its people, this guide is designed to give you the tools and insights you need to pray meaningfully and effectively for Louisiana. By focusing your prayers on specific areas of need and using the power of faith to support those who are struggling, you can make a real difference in the lives of the people of Louisiana.
In this guide, we explore the unique aspects of Louisiana’s culture and history and the current challenges and issues facing the state. We also give you practical tips and strategies for praying effectively and sincerely for Louisiana. This Louisiana prayer guide will be invaluable if you want to deepen your faith or make a difference in the world. So let us pray for Louisiana with all our hearts and soul.
3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
As followers of Christ, we are called to lift up our communities in prayer and intercession. This post is intended to guide your prayers for the state of Louisiana, focusing on economic stability, safety, and the overall health and happiness of its residents. We need to pray for our politicians, regardless of our personal opinions of them, because they play a critical role in shaping the state’s future. Let us join together in faith to lift Louisiana and its residents to our Heavenly Father, who hears and answers our prayers.
According to this source, Louisiana had a population of 4,648,794 people as of 2019, making it the 25th most populous state in the United States. This figure is consistent with other sources, such as National Geographic Kids  and Britannica Kids . Additionally, Britannica confirms that Louisiana borders Arkansas to the north, Mississippi to the east, and Texas to the west, with the Gulf of Mexico lying to the south .
According to available sources, the GDP of Louisiana was approximately $235 billion in 2017 . Louisiana’s real GDP growth rate was 1.3% in 2021 compared to the previous year, with a compound annual growth rate of 0.09% per year over the past five years . The manufacturing industry is the top contributor to Louisiana’s GDP, accounting for around 39.03% of the state’s real GDP in 2021 . Louisiana’s GDP represents 1.11% of the total US GDP, making it the 26th largest state economy in the nation as of 2021 .
John Bel Edwards is the current governor of Louisiana, who was elected in 2015 and took office in 2016. He is serving his second term in the office, which is set to end in January 2024 . Before becoming the governor, Mr Edwards served as a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from 2008 to 2016 and as a leader in the Louisiana Army National Guard, where he retired as a lieutenant colonel after serving for eight years .
Latoya Cantrell is the current mayor of New Orleans, the first woman to be elected mayor in the city’s history, and she previously served as a New Orleans City Council member . Cantrell took office in May 2018 as the 51st mayor of New Orleans. She has faced both positive and negative reviews from her constituents, including criticisms over her handling of issues such as garbage collection and travel expenses .
Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy are the current senators representing Louisiana in the US Senate . Bill Cassidy is a physician and a former member of the Louisiana State Senate . John Kennedy is a former Louisiana state treasurer and attorney general .
Louisiana is known for its petroleum, chemicals, and agriculture industries, major economic drivers. The state is the second-largest producer of crude oil and natural gas in the United States . According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate in Louisiana as of January 2023 was 4.2%, which is lower than the claim of 5.3% . As for the common jobs in Louisiana, the Bureau of Labor Statistics needs to provide specific information on the most common jobs in the state. However, according to data from 2019, the top three industries employing the most people in Louisiana were education and health services, trade, transportation, utilities, and government . It is important to note that while petroleum engineers and chemists are important jobs in the state, they may be among the least common.
Louisiana has fewer residents with access to a regular doctor than the national average. According to a report by the Kaiser Family Foundation, 71% of Louisiana residents have access to a regular doctor, compared to the national average of 85% . However, it is worth noting that the report only provides data up to 2018.
Regarding smoking and obesity rates, Louisiana has a higher prevalence of both than the national average. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the smoking rate among adults in Louisiana was 20.6% in 2019, compared to the national average of 14% . Additionally, in 2020, the adult obesity rate in Louisiana was 36.8%, compared to the national average of 29.7% .
According to , Louisiana has been reporting the highest murder rate in the United States for 31 years, with 544 murders in 2019. This equates to a murder rate of 11.7 per 100,000, compared to the national average of 6.6 per 100,000. In addition, New Orleans is known for having a high crime rate, with a rate of violent crime nearly three times higher than the national average. According to a report from the FBI, New Orleans had a violent crime rate of 722.9 incidents per 100,000 people in 2019, compared to the national average of 367.9 incidents per 100,000 people. These figures demonstrate that Louisiana has a higher crime rate than the national average, with New Orleans experiencing particularly high levels of violent crime.
Louisiana is a state in the southeastern United States that faces various challenges. Poverty, crime, and inadequate healthcare are major issues in the state . Coastal erosion, linked to global climate change, is also a significant challenge in Louisiana . In addition, the state has faced several natural disasters, including hurricanes and floods, that have caused significant damage . A struggling economy in some parts of the state has also been a concern, with the state’s economy historically based on agriculture and lumbering .
Furthermore, Louisiana has a high crime rate compared to the national average, and New Orleans is known for having a high murder rate . While healthcare is an issue in Louisiana, the state is known for having some of the country’s best hospitals and healthcare facilities . It is worth noting that poverty is linked to various issues in Louisiana, including crime and inadequate healthcare .
Prayer Points for Louisiana
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
- Heavenly Father, we lift up the leaders of Louisiana to you. We ask that you grant them good health and wellbeing, physically, mentally, and spiritually. (3 John 1:2)
- Lord, we pray that you would give the leaders of Louisiana wisdom and guidance as they lead the state. Help them to make decisions that are pleasing to you and beneficial to the people of Louisiana. (James 1:5)
- Father, we pray for the families of the leaders of Louisiana. May they be surrounded by your love and peace and be united in their commitment to serving the state. (Psalm 133:1)
- Lord, we pray for the prosperity and success of Louisiana. May the state experience economic growth and abundance in all areas of life. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- We pray for protection from natural disasters in Louisiana. Lord, we ask that you keep the people of Louisiana safe from storms, floods, and other natural calamities. (Psalm 46:1-3)
- Father, we pray for a reduction in crime rates in Louisiana. May the state experience greater peace and safety, and may the people of Louisiana be protected from harm. (Psalm 91:11)
- Lord, we pray for provision and opportunities for healthcare in Louisiana. May the state’s residents access quality medical care and receive the help they need to maintain good health. (Jeremiah 33:6)
- Father, we pray for a revival of faith in Louisiana. May the church in Louisiana rise up and live as Christ would, and may the people of Louisiana turn to you for hope and salvation. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- Lord, we pray for unity and harmony among the people of Louisiana. May they come together in love and respect, and may they work towards common goals for the betterment of the state. (Ephesians 4:3)
- Father, we pray for the education system in Louisiana. May it be a place of learning and growth for all students, and may teachers be empowered and equipped to provide quality education. (Proverbs 1:5)
- Lord, we pray for the environment in Louisiana. May the state’s natural resources be protected and preserved for future generations, and may the people of Louisiana be good stewards of the land. (Genesis 1:28)