In this post, “Prayer Guide for Maine” we explore how we can pray for Maine, the breathtaking state known as “Vacationland” in the United States of New England. Maine is famous for its stunning coastline, mouth-watering seafood, and thriving tourism industry. As believers, we must pray to our communities and intercede to our Heavenly Father on their behalf. So join us as we dive into this prayer guide for Maine and discover how we can positively impact this beautiful state. Let’s explore the best ways to pray for Maine and its people and how we can bring hope, peace, and love to this remarkable part of the world.
I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Let us unite in faith, lifting Maine and its inhabitants to our Heavenly Father, who hears and answers our prayers.
Janet Mills is the current Governor of Maine and assumed office on January 2, 2019 . Before her Governorship, she served as the state’s Attorney General. She was elected as the state’s Attorney General in 2008 and re-elected in 2010 and 2014, before being elected as Governor of Maine . As Governor, Janet Mills has worked to address key issues such as healthcare, education, and economic development. Recently, she announced $139 million in the Maine Jobs & Recovery Plan’s first investments, including $20 million for a new small business grant program, $39 million to help lower monthly health insurance premiums, and $80 million to replenish the Maine Unemployment Trust fund and mitigate tax hikes for small businesses .
Susan Collins is one of Maine’s two senators and has served in the United States Senate since 1997 . She is a moderate Republican known for her independent voting record. In the Senate, Senator Collins has strongly advocated for Maine’s residents and worked on issues such as healthcare, the economy, and the environment. For instance, she has been a vocal supporter of the Affordable Care Act and has worked to improve healthcare access for Maine residents. Senator Collins has also advocated for Maine’s environment and has worked to preserve the state’s natural resources. Additionally, she has championed policies to support Maine’s economy, such as infrastructure investment and workforce development initiatives .
Angus King is a senator from Maine, having been in office since 2013. He previously served as the governor of Maine from 1995 to 2003. Senator King is an Independent who caucuses with the Democrats. He is known for his advocacy for renewable energy and has worked to address the state’s climate change and other environmental concerns. Senator King is a member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources and has been a vocal supporter of reducing carbon emissions and transitioning to a clean energy economy .
Maine is the largest of the six New England states and became the 23rd state on March 15, 1820, as part of the Missouri Compromise . Several industries drive its economy, including tourism, fishing, and manufacturing. The state is known for its abundant lobsters, a major export, and blueberries, which provide jobs for many residents . Common jobs in Maine include fishers, seafood processors, sales representatives, retail workers, and healthcare professionals. The unemployment rate in Maine is 4.0% .
Maine has over 32,000 miles of rivers and streams and over 6,000 lakes and ponds . Additionally, Maine is the only state in the US with one syllable and the only state in the US that only borders one other state . Maine produces 90% of US toothpicks .
70.1% of Maine residents have access to a regular doctor, slightly lower than the national average of 73.5% . However, the state is known for its high-quality healthcare, and residents can access various medical services, including preventive care, specialty care, and hospital care.
Maine is generally considered to be one of the safest states in the United States with relatively low crime rates . Violent crime in Maine decreased by 5.7% from 2019 to 2020, one of the larger decreases among US states, despite the national trend in increasing violent crime rates .
The crime rate in Maine is reported to have decreased in recent years, including a -6.6% drop in 2019, and a -9.3% decrease in 2018 . The rate of crime in Maine is reported to be 24.03 per 1,000 residents during a standard year, with the south part of the state generally considered the safest, while the northwest neighborhoods have a higher chance of being victims of crime .
Despite the lower violent crime rates, property crime rates in Maine have increased in recent years, by over 20% from 2019 to 2022 . Overall, the crime rate in Maine is reported to be lower than the national crime rate average for the US in both violent and property crimes .
The Maine Department of Public Safety publishes a report of crime statistics each year, which includes violent crimes such as murder, rape, robbery, and assault, as well as property crimes such as burglaries, thefts, and arson .
According to the Department of Economic and Community Development, Maine is a relatively poor state, with the lowest income per capita in New England . Maine also faces a declining population, aging infrastructure, and economic development needs . The pandemic has impacted the state’s economy, and many residents are struggling to make ends meet, as reflected by Governor Mills’ response to Maine’s dropping test scores from the pandemic . Furthermore, the state’s infrastructure is aging, and many roads and bridges need repair.
Prayer Points for Maine
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Father, we lift up the leaders of Maine to you, asking for wisdom, guidance, and courage as they navigate the state’s challenges. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- We pray for economic growth and development in Maine, that opportunities for job creation and financial stability may be made available to all residents. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Lord, we ask for healing and restoration in the state, both physically and economically. May those impacted by the pandemic receive comfort, strength, and provision. (Psalm 147:3)
- We pray for protection and peace over Maine and its residents. May they feel your presence and protection, and may any anxieties or fears be replaced by your peace. (Psalm 91:1-2)
- Father, we ask for a revival of the church in Maine, that believers would be empowered to live as Christ would and be a shining light to their communities. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- We pray for peace and safety in all communities, and for law enforcement to effectively protect the residents. (Psalm 122:6-8)
- Lord, we ask for access to quality healthcare for all residents, and for provision of resources to address health challenges in the state. (Jeremiah 30:17)
- We pray for the youth of Maine, that they may have access to quality education and opportunities for growth and development. (Proverbs 22:6)
- Father, we ask for your provision for those who are struggling to make ends meet, that they may experience your provision and grace. (Philippians 4:19)
- We pray for unity and cooperation among the people of Maine, that they may work together to build a better future for the state. (Ephesians 4:3)
We pray for wisdom and guidance for the leaders of Maine, both in government and in the church, to make decisions that will bring blessings to the state and its residents. May the love of Christ be evident in all that is done, and may Maine be a place where Your will is done on earth as it is in heaven.