How to PRAY FOR ANGOLA
Angola is located in sub-Saharan Africa. It is an nation of vast terrain and mountainous regions, which hampers in ability to produce food from the land. There are some regions where farming is more prevalent and successful. These are usually the ones closest to the main water sources.
Population: 21.81 million as of 2016. Source
Angola endured one of the world’s longest civil wars. The war between the Jose Eduardo dos Santos MPLA party, and the Jonas Savimbi led UNITA rebels spanned for a period of almost 3 decades. It started in 1975, and ended in 2002. Only the death of the rebel leader could usher in a new era.
Part of the reason for this chaos has been attributed to the vast natural wealth that the country has. Angola has one of the world’s largest oil and diamond reserves. This is an incentive for a power hunger across the board. As with any place where wealth is found, foreign entities also seek to infiltrate and get their hands on Angola’s wealth.
The end of the civil war led to the return of an estimated half a million refugees that had fled the fighting. They were met by grave rates of poverty that followed the end of the war. Through their export and relatively good leadership, Angola has emerged as one of Africa’s growing economies.
Angola is a former Portuguese colony.
Leaders: President and/or Prime minister
João Lourenço took over as president from dos Santos in September 2017. This ended the long reign of dos Santos.
Political brief: General politics
After the disarmament of UNITA, MPLA leader, Jose Eduardo dos Santos took over in the capacity of president. This is a role that he kept until September 2017. The new president is also a member of the MPLA. Today, there is peace in Angola. Politics is carried out largely unimpeded by any party.
GDP: $122.365 billion, $4342 per capita
The former leader, dos Santos is said to be the nation’s wealthiest individual in Angola, with an estimated net worth of $20 billion. The list is largely populated by politicians.
News highlights: for latest Angola news: http://allafrica.com/angola/?page=1
Prayer points for Angola
- Father we pray for peace and reconciliation. Wherever there is bitterness and hurt, may your love overcome. Matthew 5:9 Matthew 18:15
- We thank you for the lives of all leaders in Angola. Preserve them oh Lord. Give them good health and sound minds. 1 Timothy 2:2
- We thank you for ushering in a peaceful power transition from dos Santos. Guide Lourenco as he leads the nation. We speak a covering over him and his family.
- We come against the spirit of greed and corruption. Proverbs 11:4
- Raise selfless leaders, that will truly stand for the greater good of their people.
- We pray for Angola’s people. May your love and peace be known to them. Grant them joy. Romans 15:13
- We thank you for fruitful farming in the regions where it is possible. May her production feed her people.
- We thank you for growth in GDP and in trade. May the fruits and resources of Angola be used to raise her people.
- Uproot those who seek her destruction.
- May Angola be a beacon for those her.
This post is part of our pray for all nations campaign. Please make use of the news links to find out more and create prayer points. We are currently working on this campaign. If you would like to participate in any way, please feel free to get in touch with us via our contact us page or via any of the social media channels on the top of the page.
Originally posted 2018-02-15 19:18:45.